Wednesday, February 8, 2023

My Comics Reading List 2023 #3

 Beginning my epic reading of every Silver Sprocket title on Hoopla Digital...

14. NO BETTER WORDS by Casey Nowak


So much more than a sex comic. Nowak brings attraction, anticipation, subtle intensity, and the very powerful (and underrated) emotion of connection.


15. SPORTS IS HELL by Ben Passmore


This police riot filtered through the simile of racial factions as rival sports camps makes for a compelling start for a story. The most effective part for me is the later scene in the stadium where the white supremacists have taken over and the scene slowly dissolves into violence and chaos. One of the best comics I've ever read.


16. AMERICAN CULT edited by Robyn Chapman



Edited by Paper Rocket publisher (and also co-publisher of this book) Robyn Chapman, this is a great non-fiction anthology with a well chosen group of creators. All the stories left me feeling uneasy as many of the cults still live on, outliving the deaths, imprisonments, or discrediting of their leaders. The main draw for me was comics critic Ryan Carey writing an account of Jim Jones and Jonestown told with the effective voice-beyond-the-grave of Jones' victims. Mike (GO FUCK MYSELF: THE FUCKPENDIUM) Freiheit is perfect on art, sort of scratchy and slightly out of focus that brings us into the story but leaving the reader to fill in the true horror of events. The entire book has an underground comix feel to it, which is a good thing.


17. BE YOUR OWN BACKING BAND by Liz Prince


I've never read any Liz Prince comics before. The mix of autobiographical and music works very well together, and I relate a lot to being a music fan with no musical talent. My favorites are the two musical anatomy pages.


18. GIRL IN THE WORLD by Caroline Cash

I loved this comic so much! Evidently, this is Caroline Cash's debut graphic novel. It does look like early days for the then future Ignatz award winner. However, the refreshing art style (just a touch of Manga influence) and brilliant colors drive the story forward.

19. CICATRIX by Elle Shivers

Damn, these are all great! I especially love the art style in this one, ably illustrating a story of guilt and family history rooted in the Philippines.


20. FUCK OFF SQUAD by Nicole Goux and Davey Baker

I have to admit to being to old for this one. The art is brilliant and the story flows so smoothly I was surprised when the story ended! No offense is intended, but I connected more with the meanderings of the young people from GIRL IN THE WORLD. I definitely am going to check out the many other books by the Goux/Baker team, however.


No comments:

Post a Comment