Saturday, February 11, 2023

Beyond the LCS: G-Mart Comics Pre-Orders

I'm a veteran of mail pre-orders since I live an hour away from a comic book store, starting with Mile High Comics' N.I.C.E. (New Issue Comics Express, iirc) in the 80s and another outfit from which I bought all the 90s Alan Moore comics.


I've heard Chaos and Comics mention pre-ordering from G-Mart Comics several times in his videos, and always wanted to give it another try.

After seeing Comic Book Manifesto's February PREVIEWS (for comics coming out in April 2023) flip-through video, I noticed quite few books of interest that lead me to try the preorder route again.

First up, this DR. ATOMIC comic from Image. Outside of Fantagraphics or, maybe, Last Gasp it's unheard of for these old-school undergrounds to be reprinted, but I suppose it could be seen as a follow-up to last year's THE SECRET HISTORY OF THE WAR ON WEED.
CBM also mentions THIS IS WHAT DEMOCRACY LOOKS LIKE in his video. The page linked to has another link to a free PDF of this.
Later, Comic Book Manifesto says he's considering waiting for the collected edition of Noah Van Sciver's new series MAPLE TERRACE. I like the quality of Uncivilized Books single issues, so I think I'm going this way.
It's rare to see a new print edition of THE COMICS JOURNAL, two editions are coming in April. The TCJ proper is co-edited by Austin English, but I'm on the fence about buying that. However, I'm all in on this THE COMICS JOURNAL YEARBOOK: BEST OF 2022 supplement, look at co-editor Austin English's comment on the CBM video for a better idea of the contents.
Finally, Comic Book Manifesto and I do a flip flop on the Whatnot listings. Each (respectfully) dismissing what we choose to focus on from this new publisher. I'm extremely dubious about yet another incarnation of venerable institution HEAVY METAL, but I never read the old series so I'm going to try out this reboot.

The lesson we've learned today is "Watch more Comic Book Manifesto videos, spend more money on comics"! 

P.S. I do get a comic I don't think is mentioned by CBM: SANTOS SISTERS #4.

No comments:

Post a Comment