Sunday, March 17, 2024

Comix Reading List #38: Torpedo 1972 1

 38. TORPEDO 1972 #1 (Ablaze) Hoopla

I stumbled across this one on the Hoopla app, and decided to give it a try since the original TORPEDO 1936 series author, Enrique Sanchez Abuli, was involved. In fact, the story starts out very well, setting the scene on the very first page, introducing our two main characters, and slowly building up to re-introducing Torpedo. There are many touches of humor throughout, including unfortunately the rape scene (which I'm pretty sure was a cliche in every early 70s R-rated movie) where the boyfriend tells his fiancee upon hearing Torpedo raped her, "My God! My God! And I missed it!" Upon rereading , this reads a lot better as an over the top black comedy.

Argentinean artist Eduardo risso steps in for Jordi Bernet on art duties. Risso, known in the US for the long-running 100 BULLETS, excels at facial expressions and sexy women. I like this series art by Risso better than his previous work I've seen...


Illustrations from the 2019 French edition published by Glenat


No comments:

Post a Comment