Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Comix Reading List #5: Dave Sheridan Biography

 5. Dave Sheridan: Life With Dealer McDope, Leather Nun, and The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers (Fantagraphics Underground) Hoopla

It turns out Dave Sheridan drew part of the very first underground I owned, FREAK BROTHERS #4, although I didn't know that 35 years ago. This book collects all his best known work as far as I know. Like other Fantagraphics underground cartoonist collections this seems to be reproduced from the original art, which makes a big difference with the extremely detailed ink work of Dave Sheridan (and collaborator Fred Schrier), that reminds me of illustrators from the turn of the last century. This is definitely a wild ride, Sheridan may be remembered best for his Freak Brothers work but the surreal streak running through his other works is what I love the most about his work. I don't have any samples to share so you may want to check out this huge selection of original art offered by Galerie Laqua. Stunning.

FREAK BROTHERS #4 cover by Gilbert Shelton and Dave Sheridan (GCD):



No comments:

Post a Comment