Sunday, April 23, 2023

My Science Fiction Reading List #2

3. THE HORN OF TIME (1968) by Poul Anderson
A short story collection including:
"The Horn of Time the Hunter" (1963)
"A Man to My Wounding" (1959)
"The High Ones" (1958)
"The Man Who Came Early" (1956)
"Marius" (1957)
"Progress" (1962)

Obviously, I wasn't into this book of loosely post-apocalyptic short stories by Poul Andersen, or it wouldn't have been cast aside for nearly three months until I picked it up again this week to finish the last five stories,

I was more impressed with the two longest stories in the book "The High Ones" and "Progress", the latter an interesting geo-political take on a post-apocalyptic southeast Asia where N'zealann is the only naval power and the Beneghali are another world power seeking to reclaim lost technology. I couldn't decipher all the country's new names, but the world building is quite well done for such a short space. I enjoyed the subtle political machinations escalating to high adventure and a satisfyingly epic sea and air battle in the end.

This is the second Poul Anderson book I've read, and the second I struggled mightily to finish. I like his concepts and characters, but I just don't think I connect with his actual writing style.

No comments:

Post a Comment